Chief Umtuch Middle School Fire: Thank You to All Who Helped

posted Jan 5, 2015, 5:15 PM by BGPS Web

Chief Umtuch Middle School Fire: Thank You to All Who Helped 

January 5, 2015


A small fire broke out on Monday, Dec. 29, in classroom 185 in the 7th and 8th grade wing of Chief Umtuch Middle School's main building. The fire, caused by a faulty power strip, triggered the overhead sprinkler system, which suppressed the flames until firefighters arrived and extinguished the fire. The fire caused smoke and water damage in that area of the building. Professional restoration crews have been on-site cleaning the halls, classrooms, and ventilation systems and conducting air quality tests to re-establish a healthy school environment. Science classroom 185 is still under repair and closed to students. Impacted students will be temporarily moved down the hall to classroom 188, and crews will continue to work in the building after school hours to complete the restoration. 


We want to thank all of the amazing people who responded to this incident and helped get the school ready to open on time, especially:  Clark County Fire and Rescue firefighters who responded to the fire, extinguished the flames and helped us remove water from the building; Paul Davis Restoration, who provided excellent service and worked every day over the holiday to ensure our school would be ready for students; district maintenance crews and staff who put in extra time over the break to get the school ready.  


Thank you to all of our community partners, parents and students who have supported us during this time and are working side by side with school staff as they finish the restoration. We are thankful for the fire suppression sprinkler system that did its job and kept the fire contained until emergency personnel arrived. We appreciate the offers of donations that we have received; however, the restoration and damaged items are being covered by insurance. 


We look forward to a positive and strong 2015. 




Photos of fire damage and restoration.                   


  




All clean and ready for students




























Student's first day back in cleaned room. 






Comments