District Policy No. 2019: Adoption of Instructional Materials outlines the roles and responsibilities for the school board in the adoption of new educational materials. The policy states: The Board is legally responsible for the adoption of all basic education instructional materials and approval of materials for alternative programs (e.g. special education, career and technical education, alternative schools) used in the district. The primary objective in selecting instructional materials is to implement, enrich and support the educational programs of the schools. All instructional materials shall be selected in conformance with:
- Applicable state and federal laws
- The stated goals and/or standards of the state and district, and
- Procedures established by the Teaching and Learning Department.
Criteria for Selection of Instructional Materials
The Teaching and Learning Department shall establish criteria checklists to guide the selection of high quality materials that comprise a comprehensive collection appropriate for the instructional program. Instructional materials selected shall include, but are not limited to, those which:
- Enrich and support the written curriculum, taking into consideration the varied instructional needs, abilities, interests, and maturity levels of the students served.
- Stimulate student growth in conceptual thinking, factual knowledge, physical fitness and literary and ethical standards.
- Provide sufficient variety so as to present opposing views of controversial issues in order that students may develop the skills of critical analysis and informed decision-making.
Current Materials Under Review
Click the links below to review materials online. You can also view hard copies of the texts by contacting the district office at (360) 885-5389.
Complete the form below to submit comments on the materials under review.